Sunday, December 7, 2014

Skooool Vikings!!!

Bent Hop


                Hello again beers enthusiasts! As promised, here is one of the two reviews I’ll post today from beers I have been researching all week. The first beer I’ll review about is a local brew from Bent Paddle Brewing company right here in Duluth, MN. After doing two craft beers from Wisconsin one after the other, I had to bring it back to the home state. (By the way did anyone watch the Vikings game today? We scored an 87 yard touchdown to win in Overtime, INSANE) I selected the Bent Hop Golden IPA because it is personally my favorite IPA, so I may be a little biased but I wanted to review it for you anyway.

                My first pour of the Bent Hop IPA, my initial reaction was that the beer has a very good level of head, as well as a nice golden colored hue. This is because I would say and I believe the Bent Paddle Website as well thinks that this is a non-traditional IPA. My first whiff of the aroma of the beer was hints of citrus, and fruit, as well as the hop aroma. After my first of many sips of the beer, I observed that is not super hoppy but still has a good bite of bitterness too it, to counteract the subtle flavors of the fruit. A smooth and tasteful flavor compliments the enticing aromas of the beer. Here are the Facts.




Style: Golden American Style India Pale Ale

ABV: 6.2%

IBU: 68

Color: Golden Hue

Brewery: Bent Paddle Brewing Company (Duluth, MN)

Rating: 8.5/10



                The color of the beer makes it so enticing because the golden hue makes it look so delicious and desirable. It isn’t a super Hop IPA coming in with 68 IBUs, but it still delivers that typical IPA “bite” that I enjoy so much. The label on the can is very interesting it has a very sleek design that catches the eye of customers, they have a small little saying on their can that I really found cool. “10% of the world’s fresh water is found in Lake Superior, 100% of our beer is made from that water.” However I think that the beer would look way better in a bottle as opposed to an aluminum can.
                  
                My final thoughts and advice for the Bent Hop, Bent Paddle Brew, is that I think this is a very fantastic beer from a company that is only going to continue to brew excellence as more and more capital and resources become available to them. It’s a different twist on IPAs but one that I enjoy because Bent Paddle was willing to try something different and take a risk to which I think paid off greatly. I hope you enjoyed this review and hope you find yourself enjoying a Bent Hop in the coming weeks.

Cheers,

Eric

1 comment:

  1. The whole Bent Paddle story is so inspirational--small, local company makes really smart decisions and excellent product and is a rousing success story. Like you, I love this beer--all of their beers, in fact.

    You know, the sad thing about the end of this project is that it means you'll never have another beer. Because the research is done. No more beer. Ever.

    ReplyDelete